CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Tutorial - Delicate Detailed Paper Carnations

I wish I could remember where I first saw these flowers and how to put them together, I could have added the link in this post as well.  The flowers are really beautiful and they look to me exactly like carnations.  You can use one color or you can use two different colored papers to add dimension and shading to your flowers.
Here is a project sporting one of my paper Carnations

Supplies needed for this project:
  • Scallop Circle Punch
  • Brad (preferably one with long tongs)
  • Paper Piercer
  • Piercing Mat (so table surface isn't marked)
  • Premium Quality cardstock - I used Stampin' Up!.  I would strongly recommend you use a good thick cardstock for this project for ease of splitting the paper.
  • Crimper (helps break the paper down but isn't necessary)
So the basic idea is to wad the paper up to make it soft & pliable to where it starts to separate.  You can start by running your cardstock through a crimper (if you don't have or use a crimper, just keep wadding up your paper more)

And then once you've crimped the paper, start wadding it up to make it soft & pliable.

Once this has been done and you see where the paper is starting to separate within itself, wad the paper some more to make it even softer.  You need to make sure that every area of the cardstock is soft as you are going to separte the paper into two pieces.  If you start separating too early and you get to the middle of the cardstock, it'll either tear one way or another, it won't split if it's not soft & worked with enough.


As you start tearing the pieces apart, you'll notice that the inside pieces have more of a fuzzy-type texture.  This is the texture that is going to face the outside of the carnation.  The other side is shiny.


Now that the paper has been separated, you've just doubled the amount of carnations you can create!  :)
Once this is done, punch with a round scallop punch.  Each carnation needs four round scallop pieces.



You will need to pierce a hole through the middle of each circle scallop.  The thing that's so great about this split paper is when you bend it & shape it, it's really good at retaining it's shape.  Place a brad through the hole of the first circle scallop and bend / crumple the paper pretty tight so the brad isnt noticable.  You can use the tongs of the brad on the other side to hold on to while you shape your carnation.  You can flatten the tongs out once your finished with the whole thing.  (I really wish i had pictures of this, but it seems my husband was distracted when we got to this part of the tutorial.
Once you are satisfied with how the first circle is crumpled around the brad, add the next one.  Each one you add can be looser and not as tight.  just crumple and twist them until they look like a carnation.



Good luck and I can't wait to see your project!  (if you don't mind, I would like to share your work on my website for others to see as well!  If you forward me a picture of your project but DO NOT want me to share it on my website, please let me know and I will respect your privacy)  :)
Thanks for stopping by and I look forward to hearing your comments!
Blessings & Inky Hugs
~§hawnie B
Remember, if you don't get ink all over yourself, your not stampin'!
Visit my online Stampin' Up! store 24-7.  Click on "Shop Now"
http://Shawnie.StampinUp.net

1 comment:

  1. Nope... you lost me... LOL. I'll have to read it again lol...

    LOVE LOVE LOVE the step by steps you should DIFFIDENTLY do that more often!!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments and feedback are always appreciated! ~Shawnie B.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...